13/05/2012

Really? I don't think so.

Would cheaper fruit and vegetables make you eat more of them?

“If fruit and vegetables were cheaper, I’d eat more of them.” That’s something I keep hearing people say (or something to that effect), but I really don’t think they would.

We all know that to live a healthier life we should eat more fruit and vegetables and cut down on those sugary snacks, which don’t do us any good at all. But when that’s suggested to somebody, they always say it’s too expensive to buy healthy food, but that’s simply no excuse.

I understand that individuals and families are struggling financially right now, but why should that affect your diet? Why can’t you go shopping and pick up a bag of grapes rather than a packet of biscuits?

And another argument which annoys me: “We don’t have time to make a meal from scratch.” Oh please! You can throw a healthy meal together in virtually no time at all, and if you buy the right stuff, it really doesn’t cost a lot. And if you can’t think of what to cook, there are lots of useful websites that can help you out.

Now, this post could easily turn into why I dislike supermarkets (even though they do have their good points), but I’ll save that for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment